300 Prospective Marriage/ Fiance Visa

The Prospective Marriage visa (subclass 300) is for people who want to come to Australia to marry their prospective spouse.

It is a temporary visa for nine months. You must be outside Australia when you lodge your application and when the visa is granted. You can have the wedding in any country: the wedding does not need to be in Australia.

What this visa let you do?

This visa allows you to:

  • Enter Australia before you marry your prospective spouse.
  • Travel in and out of Australia as often as you want
  • Work in Australia, although some employers might not hire people with temporary visas
  • Study in Australia, but with no access to government funding for tertiary study
  • Apply for a Partner visa, in Australia, after your marriage.

What could get this visa?

You must:

  • Intend to marry and live as husband or wife with your prospective spouse.
  • Be sponsored by your prospective spouse.
  • Know your prospective spouse and have met in person.
  • Be the opposite sex to your prospective spouse (same-sex couples can apply for a Partner visa based on their de facto relationship).
  • Meet age, health and character requirements.

Proof of intent to marry

Your application must include proof that you plan to marry your prospective spouse within nine months of being granted the visa.

If you plan to marry outside Australia, you can provide a letter from the person who will perform the wedding ceremony.

If you plan to marry in Australia, you must complete a undefined document entitled: ' Notice of Intended Marriage ' Notice of Intended Marriage form and give it to the person who will perform the wedding ceremony. This must be done at least one month, and less than 18 months, before you marry.

Your sponsor

You must be sponsored by your prospective spouse. They must be at least 18 years of age and either:

Your prospective spouse

You must have met your prospective spouse in person, as adults. You must know them personally.

This applies even if:

  • it is an arranged marriage.
  • you and your prospective spouse met as children and the marriage was arranged before you turned 18 years of age.
  • you met on the internet (exchanging photographs is not evidence of having met in person).

For further details please visit www.border.gov.au