Partner Visas(In Australia)

​The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) allows you to live in Australia if you are the spouse or de facto partner of:

In some circumstances the visa can be granted where your partner relationship has ended.

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) is the first stage towards a permanent Partner visa (subclass 801). You must be in Australia when you apply and also when this visa is decided.

You lodge one application form for your temporary and permanent visas and pay one application charge. Your application is processed in two stages, about two years apart.

What this visa let you do?

The temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) lets you:

  • Stay in Australia until a decision is made about your permanent Partner visa.
  • Work in Australia.
  • Study in Australia, but with no access to government funding
  • enrol in Medicare, Australia's scheme for health-related care and expenses.

You can include your dependent children in your application, but not other dependent relatives (unless you hold or held a Prospective Marriage visa). Dependent applicants must be in Australia when they apply.

For further details please visit